Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Weekend Baking

So my mother, through various circumstances, ended up with an industrial sized can of mandarin oranges. So when I was there last weekend, I ended up dividing up the oranges. I was lucky that my mom sent me home with a little less than half of an Industrial Sized can of mandarin oranges. I haven't eaten mandarin oranges since I was a kid and I don't normally buy or use them. So I had 2 bottles of oranges in my refrigerator and no idea what to do with them.

Thank God for the internet.

So after searching around for a while, I found a few of what I hoped were decent recipies and started baking this weekend. I picked 2 cake recipies, one was really easy and included packaged cake mix and one was from scratch. I picked these mostly because I already had most of the ingredients. I ended up buying more than I originally thought. (So now I have leftover coconut I have to figure out how to use.)

They turned out fine. They both taste good, very different from each other. Now after eating both, [the first one is very light with a cool whip and pineapple "frosting" and the second is dark and sugary with a walnut and coconut "topping" ]but neither one have very much "orange" taste to them. The first because of the pineapple in the cool whip and the second just doesn't. I'm not sure if it was the recipies I picked or the crappy quality of the industrial can of mandarin oranges. It just seemed like a wasted effort to make these orange desserts and then they don't taste of orange at all.

Well, at least it was something different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home